Accountancy marketing case study – Manufacturing and engineering benchmarking thought leadership at MHAPosted on: June 8, 2018
I’m always on the lookout for great marketing and communications campaigns and I found an excellent sector initiative by a UK wide accountancy association – Manufacturing and engineering benchmarking thought leadership at MHA. It’s a good accountancy marketing case study.
The main research publication is the annual report (the latest is for 2017/2018 but it has been running for a number of years). It is based on a survey of 460 clients and contacts in the manufacturing and engineering sectors – mostly SMEs. It provides an insightful overview of the manufacturing and engineering sector and is full of lively infographics and analysis of issues such as finance, business confidence, innovation, employment and exporting.
There’s a comparison of regional variations and numerous case studies. Future issues such as capital investment, sustainability, energy requirements and lean manufacturing are also explored.
Some of the key facts that caught my eye included:
- Manufacturing contributes 9.5% of GDP
- 78% predicted growth for their business (57% expect to increase their staff)
- 94% felt their cost of production would rise in the next year
- 66% believe their main competitors are based within the UK
- 51% export with 96% exporting to the Eurozone
- 22% put skills shortage at the top of their agenda
The benchmarking study – with contributions from eight member firms across the UK – has commentaries from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IME) and the Electrical Research Authority (ERA) and is sponsored by Lloyds Bank.
There’s a dedicated area of the web site http://mha-uk.co.uk/sectors/manufacturing/ which showcases events and a range of other publications for the sector including those focusing on recruitment and retention, the impact of the budget, automation and growing cost pressures for manufacturers.
There’s a dedicated Manufacturing Group providing a national knowledge base on issues specifically of interest to manufacturers including R&D tax credits, Patent Box, capital allowances and grants. The group maintains links with a range of external organisations such as MAS, UKTI, Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs) as well as institutes, universities, banks and allied sector specialists.
Hannah Farmborough, Senior Marketing Manager at MHA commented:
“The manufacturing and engineering sector is an important one for the growth of the British economy and we work hard to ensure our clients voices are heard, we use this report to lobby MPs in an attempt to reach parliament. We have been previously contacted by parliamentary researchers to obtain further information to be shared with MPs in parliament on current issues such as the skills gap in the sector.
The MHA Manufacturing and Engineering report has been running now for six years. Our national report is featured in trade press, on social media and member firms also run regional events where the findings of the report and the regional analyses are discussed in more detail. These are usually combined with a factory tour as well to provide a practical insight into manufacturers in their area.
We are extremely grateful to our clients and contacts who take the time to share information about their businesses with us, which enables us to present a national picture of the industry”.
- Thought leadership campaigns – the basics
- Collaborative marketing of family law services – Debrett’s and Mishcon de Reya
- Digital PR case study – Brecher Solicitors: from food to law to property blogging
- Case Study – UK tax rates app from Haines Watts accountants
- Case study – Digital PR central part of the mix to build an accountancy niche in fashion
- Advanced social media use amongst lawyers, accountants and surveyors
- Kelso seminar - introduction to thought leadership
- Case study (Law firm marketing) - Mishcon de Reya
- Digital PR case study – BDO accountants “Service2020: Megatrends for the decade ahead” and local government social media campaign
- Project Management in Marketing
- Legal Marketing Case study - How Thomson Snell & Passmore lawyers grew a new office from scratch
- Legal Marketing Case study - Withy King's research/media relations campaign
- Hubspot’s guide to building a content strategy
- Legal marketing case study: Focused newsletters at the heart of client relationship and events programmes at Aaron & Partners
- Case study: Developing a family law practice at Oxley & Coward solicitors in Yorkshire
- Legal marketing case study: Irwin Mitchell combines DR advertising, online promotion and brand building
- Legal Marketing Case Study: "Hot on family law" at Rayden Solicitors
- Withers’ double win - A cracking demonstration of superb law firm marketing AND a tour de force on legal pitfalls in social media
- Property marketing case study – Video at Knight Frank, Berwin Leighton Paisner and Estates Gazette
- Property marketing case study – CBRE at MIPIM with bears and bulls video and social media
- Property Marketing Case Study – The power of brands in B2B and B2C (Cluttons, Workspace and CBRE)
- Legal marketing case studies – Farrer & Co Lexis® Interaction® and Berwin Leighton Paisner Siteimprove web governance suite
- Accountancy marketing case study – Grant Thornton and Lexis® Interaction® aligning partner KPIs with business objectives
- Legal Marketing Technology Case Studies – Highlights from Conscious Solutions “Marketing in a digital world”
- Accountancy marketing case studies – Strategy and relationship management at BDO, Grant Thornton and RSM International
- Legal marketing case studies – Strategy and relationship management at Bird & Bird, DLA Piper, Mills & Reeve and Obelisk
- Legal marketing case study: Improving referrals through reward systems at Keystone Law
- Law South Conference 2015 – “Achieving extraordinary client engagement” with empowerment, value, disruption, disobedience and psychology
- 10 steps to create a business development campaign
- Where do I start? Business Development for Lawyers (MBL Private Client Training July 2015)
- Marketing to the elderly – for lawyers and accountants
- Legal Marketing Case Study – Rix & Kay thought leadership in the later life and care sectors
- Thought leadership lecture for Laurie Young – The future of the professions
- Legal Marketing Case Study – Fisher Meredith family law services and so much more
- Book Review – The Thought Leadership Manual by Tim Prizeman
- Integrated marketing – Joined up sector, KAM and CEM programmes
- From expert to rock star – Using Passle for content creation and distribution
- Book Review – The Analytical Marketer – How to transform your marketing organization by Adele Sweetwood
- Accountancy marketing case study: Haines Watts accountants “For Love or Money” thought leadership campaign
- Developing a private client practice – 10 insights (July 2017)
- Accountancy marketing case study – From client referrals to sectors and social media
- Legal case study – Anatomy of a law firm merger (Ross & Craig and DMH Stallard)
- Selling legal services with storytelling
- Property marketing case study – Client and key client relationship management at JLL
- Thought leadership, campaigns and project management – Nine insights from a workshop (2017)
- Google and social media advertising
- Book - Social Media in Business Development and Relationship Management: A Guide for Lawyers
- Thought leadership campaigns and project management: Eight Essentials
Category: Accountants, Kim's Blog, Marketing, Social Media
Tagged: Accountancy marketing, Accountants, Accountants marketing, Analysis, Benchmarking, Benchmarks, Business Development, Campaign Management, Campaigns, Case Study, Communications, Engineering, events, Lobby, Lobbying, Manufacturing, Marketing, marketing case study, Media Relations, PR, Public Relations, Publications, Regional marketing, Research, Sector marketing, Sectors, Statistics, Thought leadership, Trends